Cleaning laundry is one of the most strenuous activities. While at it, you may be worried whether liquid laundry detergents can clog drain pipes.
Maybe you’ve noticed the buildup of soap in the drains or you’ve heard about reports of detergents clogging the drains.
Consequently, you’ll be concerned about your drains. Luckily, a team of experienced plumbers from Fast Plumbers are here to educate you more about laundry detergents and clogged drain pipes.
Can laundry detergents clog drain pipes?
Typically, a liquid detergent wouldn’t clog the drain pipes, either in the dishwasher or washing machine. However, there’s a higher risk of drain clogs when using powder detergents.
Regardless, if you’re using the right amount of powder detergent in the appliance, then you wouldn’t experience drain or pipe clogging.
Before using a cleaning appliance, such as a dishwasher or washing machine, check the user manual on the recommended amount of detergent to use for a single wash. If you’re using a high-efficiency appliance, you’ll use less powder detergent than in an older appliance.
Why is it important to use the recommended amount of a liquid or powder detergent?
Does the amount of detergent you put into an appliance matter? Can’t you put in any amount? It’s advisable to only use the recommended amount of liquid or powder detergent to keep your plumbing and appliances protected from clogs.
Using a little amount of your favorite detergent means that your dishes or clothes won’t be cleaned properly. On the other hand, using more detergent than the recommended amount means that the detergent residue won’t be properly washed away when rinsing, leaving your dishes or clothes feeling grimy.
Tips for Preventing Slow Drains Due To Detergent Buildup
Overloading your dishwasher or washing machine with detergent may lead to excessive soap buildup and this may cause clogs in the drains and pipes. Avoid this problem by only using the recommended amount of liquid or powder detergent.
Here are extra tips to prevent grimy dishes and slow drains:
- Only use the recommended amount of powder or liquid detergent whenever you want to use the dishwasher or washing machine. Use a regular measuring cup for more accurate measurements.
- Preferably, use liquid detergent rather than powder detergent to reduce the risks of clogging.
- Run your washer with white vinegar (about two to four cups depending on the capacity of your washer) in an empty cycle. Do it monthly. The acidity of vinegar will dissolve limescale and detergent buildup to keep the drains clear.
- Contact a reliable plumber as soon as you notice any slow drains, even when using liquid detergent correctly. Slow drains are a sign of a serious clog and will require professional attention.
- Apply a drain care treatment product from Fast Plumbers monthly to keep the drains clear and clean.
Get Professional Plumbing Solutions
In case you’ve done everything possible to keep your appliance well maintained and you’re still concerned about a pipe or drain clog resulting from an appliance, contact our emergency plumber Sydney technicians for professional assistance.
We have a team of highly qualified and experienced plumbers to get the job done right. We use modern tools to fix all kinds of plumbing problems. Call us today via 1300 481 182 to book for an appointment.